Typical Jordan

Typical Jordan

maandag 7 september 2015

What kind of tourist am I?

Finally I will answer that question I have asked in the beginning: What kind of tourist am I?

Erik Cohen (1979) has determined five tourist typologies based on the tourists concept of the ‘centre’ of its world. It  ranges from the recreational tourist to the experimental tourist. The centre of the recreational tourist is in its own society. This implies that tourism is a way to escape from daily-life, and that little quest for authenticity is present. The existential tourist is completely alienated from its own society, and has the deepest quest for authenticity.
Another way to diverge tourist experiences, is to make a division between tourists and travellers. Travellers make ‘trips’, where they experience the destination, whereas tourists go on holiday. The travellers are also known as the ‘backpackers’, and are closest to the existential tourist. The tourists as described here imply mass tourism and are closest to the typology recreational tourist. (McCabe, 2005)

Between those extremes are the diversionary tourist, which is not attached to any society, and only travels to avoid boredom. The experiential tourist is alienated from its own society and seeks therefore for authenticity during travelling. However, they are aware of their ‘otherness’, which the experimental tourists are not. (Cohen, 1979)

When examining the tourist typologies of Cohen, I consider myself the recreational tourist, since I know that my centre is situated in the Netherlands. However, I do seek for authenticity and I am not a mass tourist. During holiday I do want to experience the country, eat the local food, try to understand the society. Moreover, the division between the traveller and the tourist is based on two extreme situations, and I believe I am neither (or both) of the two.

In Jordan, I believe that we also fit in the category recreational tourist, since we had a guide, we didn't use local transport and viewed mostly only the touristic sights. Unfortunately we were not able to engage with the locals. However, the mass tourist that eats fries at snackbar 'Friet van Piet' in Spain is still a totally different way of travelling!

References:
McCabe, S. (2005). ‘Who is a tourist?’A critical review. Tourist studies, 5(1), 85-106.
Cohen, E. (1979). A phenomenology of tourist experiences. Sociology, 13(2), 179-201.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten